- 1 package of Italian sausage (spicy or mild, depending on your pref)
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic (pressed or minced)
- 2 small or one medium zucchini (shredded on a cheese grater)
- 1 cup of white wine (I use Sauvignon Blanc)
- Sundried tomatoes (almost like a garnish)
- Red pepper flakes (if you like it really spicy)
Brown the sausage in the pan until cooked through. Remove excess fat if needed, but a little helps coat the pasta. Make a little “hot spot” and brown the tomato paste a little on the bottom of the pan, then mix into the meat. Let the meat start to caramelize. Add in the garlic clove and mix in thoroughly, then quickly add the shredded zucchini. Mix and let it cook until the zucchini is starting to break down and the meat is caramelizing again. Once it starts having some good color, pour in some of the wine, deglazing. Let it cook off and mostly evaporate then pour in more, and cook it off again. At this point you can definitely taste it to see if it needs more tang (do another round of wine), more spice (add some red pepper flakes), or more deep flavors (add more tomato paste). Add the sundried tomatoes, cut into small pieces. Finish up with some nice caramelization. Toss with pasta, sprinkle with cheese and Voila!
I cook this on high through most of the process, since there is so much moisture to cook off. You can vary the ingredients amounts and still get a good result.