For this recipe, you can use this pork preparation (https://mangiavita.com/2023/08/17/pork-prep/ ) from your freezer stash, or roast the pork for this recipe specifically.
- 1lb boneless pork spareribs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder
- Corn tortillas, olive oil for griddle
- Toppings: avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime
Rinse the meat and place it into the pan then add more seasoning on top. Cover the pan with foil and roast in a 350 degree oven until the meat is well-cooked, caramelized and able to be shredded by hand. This will take any where from 2-4 hours, depending on the size of the pieces.
These fattier cuts of pork meat will make a lot of juice so the meat will braise in it’s own juices. When you remove the foil to check the meat, watch out for the steam that escapes and could burn you. When the meat is ready, you can remove it from the oven to cool enough that you can shred it by hand. Separate the meat into smaller chunks and remove any bits of fat or anything you wouldn’t want to see in your meal.
Brush the corn tortillas with olive oil and griddle the tortillas until slightly golden. Add meat, toppings, your favorite hot sauce and enjoy.
Toppings above are a more purist version of a carnitas taco, but you can add a wide variety of toppings to your liking:
- Cheese: cheddar, jack, pepper jack or queso fresco
- Diced tomatoes
- Grilled, pickled or raw onions
- Diced radishes
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cabbage with lime juice
- Salsa: https://mangiavita.com/2023/08/10/salsa/
- Pico de Gallo: https://mangiavita.com/2023/08/11/pico-de-gallo/